The saying make lemonade our of lemons could not stand more true for me today. I was so excited to make these strawberry lemonade donuts, but all of them ended up sticking to the pan. I got so frustrated and was on the verge of throwing them out when I thought of an even better idea! I decided to turn my crumbly lemon donuts into little mason jar cakes.
These strawberry lemonade donut cakes turned out even better than I was expecting my donuts to. They are so adorable and really fun to make! Not to mention super easy because they can be as messy and crumbly as you want them to and it makes no difference. The lemon donut cake ended up being super moist and I topped it off with a delicious strawberry glaze. These mason jar cakes are perfect to give as a gift or for a summer BBQ!
Strawberry Lemonade Donut Cake
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup sugar
- zest of 2-3 large lemons
- 1 egg
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup whole milk
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- few drops yellow food coloring (optional)
For the Glaze
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- ½ tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon pureed strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease donut pan.
- In a large bowl whisk together baking powder, baking soda, sugar and lemon zest.
- Add egg, butter, sour cream and milk and blend until well combined.
- Fold in vanilla extract and food coloring.
- Add batter to a piping bag.
- Pipe batter into doughnut pan, filling about ⅔ full.
- Bake for about 8 minutes or until donuts spring back when touched.
- While your donuts cool, prepare the strawberry glaze by combining all ingredients.
- Break apart your cake donuts one at a time and add to mason jars, switch off adding donut pieces and drizzling glaze until your jars are full!
I hope you guys enjoy this recipe and remember that when things don’t go as planned there is always to turn it around for the better! Enjoy!
SHOP THIS POST