Blueberry Hand Pies
Not only are these blueberry hand pies super CUTE… but they are seriously delicious. It’s a sweet snack to share with friends or give to someone you think is a cutie pie! Just don’t forget to tell them, “I like you berry much!” Try out the recipe below and let me know what you think!
Blueberry Hand Pies
for the crust:
- 1¼ cups all purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup shortening
- 4 to 5 Tablespoons cold water
for the filling:
- 1 package refrigerated pie crust
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- Juice and zest from 1⁄2 lemon
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 cups blueberries
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 egg, beaten (for egg wash)
- Granulated sugar
1) Pre-heat oven to 350° F. In a medium bowl stir together flour and salt. With a pastry blender cut in shortening until pea sized.
2) Sprinkle water in one tablespoon at a time tossing with fork. Mix till all flour is moistened.
3) Form into a ball and roll out on floured surface. Turn and flour dough a few times then roll out until you reach desired thickness. Use a circle cookie cutter to cut out 24 circles.
4) Put the butter, lemon juice and zest, sugar and blueberries into a pan and saute over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add flour, stir until dissolved and cook for an additional minute. Remove from heat and set aside.
5) Place 12 pie crust circles on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Spoon 1 tablespoon of blueberry pie filling into the center of each cookie. Place the other 12 pie crust circles on top of the blueberry-topped bottoms and seal the edges with a fork. You can use a cookie stamp to add a cute saying to the tops or simply cut a few small slits in the top of each blueberry hand pie, brush with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar.
6) Bake for 10-14 minutes, or until the filling is bubbly. Cool, serve and enjoy!
SHOP THIS POST:
Blue Cocktail Napkins from The Little Market
Yummmm, these sound delicious and they look gorgeous too!
These look so delicious and I loveee the “cutie pie” written across the top!
Dr. Elise Cohen Ho
I would never get to make these…mostly because I would eat all the blueberries first.