donut shop

Let's connect!

Contact

Daisies

favorites

One Good Deed A Day

Apr 1, 2017

The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

I witnessed something incredible the other day and I had to share with you guys! On my flight to Cleveland an older gentleman (who happened to be a war veteran) had pre-boarded, but had to wait in a first class seat before going to his assigned seat. After everyone had boarded, the flight attendants explained that he had two seat options, one middle seat a ways back and an aisle seat towards the back of the plane. Before the older man had a chance to decide, a man behind him offered up his first class seat and headed towards the middle seat in the back of the plane. He acted so fast the older gentleman didn’t even have time to turn and say thank you. There was nothing in it for the man that gave up his seat, yet he acted with such certainty in that moment. A moment that brought me and a few flight attendants to tears.

That man’s selfless gesture was bigger than most will do in a lifetime, and it made me reflect quite a bit. What had I done lately for someone other than myself? I have to be honest, I came up blank. Maybe some spare change for homeless people or cookies for my neighbors, but nothing to write home about. My parents taught my sister’s and I growing up the importance of being kind and compassionate towards everyone, but most importantly those less fortunate than us. And I’ve been a little selfish lately. There’s definitely room for improvement.

One Good Deed A Day

A while ago I got this journal, “One Good Deed A Day” from Share and Do Good and it’s been sitting on my nightstand collecting dust ever since. After my flight I decided to actually put it to good use and I’ve kind of fallen in love with it. This uplifting book is full of simple actions that have the power to spread compassion like wildfire. It encourages people to make meaningful connections with loved ones, spread positivity to strangers, or prioritize their own happiness. These simple tasks may not seem like much, but it’s a great place to start! “One Good Deed A Day” has certainly opened my eyes to tons of ideas and given me motivation to get back on the right track with putting others first.

I’m going to try my best to be more useful, honorable, and compassionate. Whether I’m able to do one good deed a day or ten, I know I’ll be living and living well. What good deeds have you guys done lately? And if you can’t think of any no worries…what do you plan on doing in the near future?!

comments +

1. cutebrandik says:

Love the insightful lifestyle post! I also love your eyelet outfit!

-Brandi Kimberly

2. Kimberly @ Berly's Kitchen says:

Aw, that is such a sweet story. Doing a good deed every day is a wonderful idea. 🙂 Love your dress, too, by the way. It’s super cute!

3. Sharon says:

Thanks for the share of such a nice story! It put a smile on my face today!

4. Ana Prodanovic says:

This post is perfection! Love your look! <3

anaprodanovich.com

5. ~ carmen ~ says:

What an amazing story & how exciting that you were able to witness it! What a wonderful, selfless act. :]

// itsCarmen.com

6. what a great moment to witness on the plane, i love it!

7. laurajaneatelier says:

You look so pretty, I love this all white outfit
    xo

8. Kim says:

That book sounds awesome…it is a way to follow through random acts of kindness

9. Meileilan says:

Love this thought of one good deed a day. I always believe that there is always goodness in every person in this world . Great perspective.

10. LaToya C says:

Beautiful outfit! Very inspiring post!

11. I really like this post. Being a good person has always been one of the most important things to me, but recently I feel like I’ve stopped trying as hard to build others up, due to my own personal insecurities, and I want that to change. From now on, I am going to take every opportunity that I can to help others out and spread happiness. The world can never have too much positivity ✨

• donutsndaisies says:

Thanks Indya, I’m glad you liked it! We are all works in progress and have our insecurities, but I think that spreading positivity and helping others is a great way to conquer those issues we have with ourselves!

12. I need to pick up a few copies of that book and give them to some friends and family members. We can all use a little reminder.

13. Selina Ryan says:

What a beautiful thing he did, so lovely. Yes I believe in good deeds, karma is what makes the world go round.

14. 2014ritchie says:

Such an appropriate post for International Good Deed Day. Today, my husband happened to find a wallet, found the owner’s number, and delivered it to his home. The person who lost his wallet was most appreciative. To me, this is what the world needs more of, people doing the right thing.

15. I’m loving everything!!! 🙂

16. Meaghan says:

Thank you for sharing about this beautiful moment! My New Years resolution was to say something kind to a friend or stranger every day and I’ve been slacking. This is definitely the reminder I needed to put others before myself and let people know they matter.

Meaghan xx

17. Such a sweet story, you wouldnt get many people who will give up their seat. It’s definitely motivated me to do more good deeds, might even have a look at that book. Lovely photos X

18. Christianne says:

That was a kind gesture of the other man, such a nice post.
    Xo, Christianne

19. Love this! Definitely need to get in the habit of doing one good deed a day!

20. cheersjenna says:

What a beautiful moment to witness. Thank you for the reminder that kindness makes the world a much better place.

Cheers, J

21. Emily says:

This is such a great post! Thanks for sharing!

22. Amy says:

I love this so much! It’s so easy to do a simple good deed, and it can really turn someone’s day around! Thanks for sharing!

xoxo,
    Amy

23. Andi says:

What a beautiful story girl, and as always your post and photos are such a class act. Thanks for sharing!

xoxo,
    Andi

24. I LOVE this post! It’s such a wonderful reminder to pay it forward.