donut shop

Let's connect!

Contact

Daisies

favorites

Plaid on Plaid

Dec 29, 2016

Plaid has become a hugely popular pattern and it’s definitely a staple in my wardrobe. I’ve always considered plaid to be mostly a winter/ holiday pattern and after reading an article on the smithsonianmag.com, there is actually an interesting correlation.

Apparently plaid goes back at least 3,000 years to when it was first called “tartan.” It was used to describe the different patterned clothes of the Scottish clans. They mainly wore the same colors but “plaids” were the heavy coats worn to survive the unbearable Scottish winters. They then became popular when the American and British started recreating the fabric of tartans in all kinds of clothing items.

I’ll definitely be thanking the Scottish every time I throw on my favorite plaid scarf or curl up next to the fire with my cozy plaid blanket!

tfox8324

tfox8332

tfox8342

Like my outfit?! You can find my outfit here:

J. Crew Top, Madewell Beanie, Plaid Scarf, Rag & Bone Jeans, Dolce Vita Ankle Boots

While we may not need a tartan to keep us warm in Los Angeles, there are quite a few people that need help staying warm this winter. One Warm Coat is an organization that provides anyone in need with a coat. Donate any of your old coats or check out onewarmcoat.org to figure out other ways to can keep someone warm today!

What’s your favorite winter apparel?! I’d love to hear 🙂

comments +

1. featherflint says:

I always wondered why I associated plaid with winter, too – so interesting to find out why! Your outfit’s adorable – I would have thought that mixing patterns like this would be overly busy, but you did it perfectly. I have a similar shirt & scarf, so I’ll be trying this soon! 🙂

2. meg_lushlifeblog says:

Super super cute! I think how you paired the larger plaid with the smaller pattern. Also, love the idea of donating old coats to keep someone warm 🙂

3. I loved the way you styled this look! It is so fun and the patterns actually compliment!
    xo Debbie | http://www.tothineownstylebetrue.com

4. anasweetstyle says:

You look gorgeous. And that was an interesting read!

5. Beauty & Colour says:

Loving how you styled these two plaid pieces!

Caitlin, Beauty & Colour

6. Oh my goodness, I LOVE your blog! The layout is just gorgeous! And that plaid is adorable on you!

7. you can get some amazing soft plaid scarves in scotland too! LOVE your boots!!!

8. nychifashion says:

Love your blog! Love the look you styled with the plaid shirt!!

9. mintandt says:

Scarves like yours are great! So cozy and warm.

Gisel | http://www.mintandthrift.com

10. Jessica says:

Great plaid scarf and beanie! I love giving back and donating a coat is a wonderful way to give back 🙂

11. LOVE mixing plaids. That scarf is so cute. Love the colors!
    xo Jessica

12. I love plaid too! I wore it quite a bit this season.